Supporting pathologists to meet the increasing demand for their services
Spotlight Pathology develops decision support tools powered by artificial intelligence (AI) to help in the diagnosis of blood cancers.
Blood cancers are a significant burden on global health, with an estimated 1.24 million diagnoses, and 720,000 deaths, each year around the world. Improving patient outcomes depends on providing fast, accurate assessment of tissue biopsy samples by highly specialised pathologists. However, acute workforce shortages and increasing demand for services represent a growing challenge for diagnostic services, slowing down this process and adversely affecting patient care.
In the UK:
Only 3% of pathology departments are fully staffed
25% of pathologists will retire in the next few years and there are insufficient trainees to replace them.
The pathology workload is increasing by 4.5% each year.
These challenges are felt across the US, EU, UK and even more pronounced internationally.
Spotlight Pathology has the solution
AI is emerging as a solution to these common issues in hospital pathology departments, and promises to help streamline traditional lengthy diagnostic triage processes.
Our AI decision support software for blood cancers fulfils a previously unmet clinical need by helping to improve pathology services in several specific ways.
This machine learning technology integrates with existing digital pathology infrastructure, so there is no need to install additional dedicated scanning hardware
This machine learning technology integrates with existing digital pathology infrastructures, so there is no need to install additional dedicated scanning hardware.
The Spotlight Pathology team has extensive expertise and in-depth understanding of how to apply state-of-the-art AI to pathology, and a proven track record of developing software to:
- Detect cancer
- Differentiate cell types and perform automated cell counts
- Carry out spatial analyses
- Quantify heterogeneity
- Discover novel molecular biomarkers for patient risk stratification, and
- Combine insights from multi-modal datasets
Without Spotlight Pathology
The rising demand cannot be met due to:
- Worldwide shortage of pathologists and new trainees
- Increasing workload due to rising cancer incidence and complexity of the diagnosis process
- Increase in personalised therapy requires greater precision from pathologists
With Spotlight Pathology
- AI-based tools increase capacity to meet rising demand for services
- Automated cell counting increases pathologist productivity
- Sample classification and triage speed up diagnostic turnaround for complex cases
- Increased objectivity of diagnosis supports better targeting of treatments to patients